Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Walter Zettl



I first "met" Walter Zettl when I was a teenager (1984??). I somehow came across his new book "A Matter of Trust". There was no dressage training in my area, and dressage was sort of poo pooed. But it was something I wanted to learn - and I wanted to learn it in the correct manner. When I came across his book, I immediately began teaching myself and my horses after his methods (secretly, of course!). I also dreamed of meeting him and learning from him one day, but had no idea how to make that come about.

In 2001, I had my horse accident and feared I would never, EVER meet him since I was disabled. Fast forward to 2003. I had begun to get back on a horse and relearn to get my balance. By 2005, I was beginning to be able to actually ride a little instead of just sitting as a passenger.

My parents had some friends, Rob and Kathy Marshall of Nova Scotia. They used to tell me that I should go visit the Marshall's in Nova Scotia, as they had a horse farm. I never went - until.... In 2005, they came to visit us. Kathy and Rob went with me to see my horse. She asked all kinds of questions of me about my riding before my accident, what my goals were, etc.... I let slip that I had always wanted to ride for Walter Zettl but would never get the opportunity now that I had had my accident and was disabled. I had no idea I was talking to the one woman who spearheaded getting FEI level dressage into Nova Scotia. I just knew she was quite knowledgeable!

Before they left to go home to Nova Scotia, they invited me to their farm. Not only did they invite me, they paid for my round trip air ticket. So we set a date, got the tickets, and Kathy arranged for me to have daily lessons on an FEI horse at the Atlantic Dressage Development Center with a girl named Pam and a a 17.3 hand Whestphalian horse named Foster. A couple of days before my departure, Kathy calls me and says, "Guess what?" As fate would have it, Walter was slated to come teach at the same barn and at the same time I had chosen to come to Nova Scotia. He was teaching Saturday and Sunday. I could only come audit the Saturday as my plane left the next day. They (ADDC and Kathy/Rob) encouraged me to write a letter to Walter Zettl, which I did, and they gave to him. Upon reading the letter, he offered to tack me on as the 9th rider of Saturday's clinic.

This is how I first met Walter and his wife, Heide. I have had the privilege of keeping in touch with them regularly since then. Either through auditing clinics of his, riding for him, or keeping up by phone and email. It has been an honor that someone of their caliber has taken the time to keep up with lil' ole me. I continue, even as a disabled rider, to attempt to pattern my riding after his teachings, as I believe in them deeply.

Thank you Walter and Heide for your continued friendship and for the opportunity to learn from you whenever I can. It has, and continues to be, a life changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment