Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Claudia Garner


In 2001, I was injured after falling off a horse. Long story short, the diagnosis ended up being brainstem/cerebellar injury with C1C2 cord atrophy. Not long after my injury, I sent my horse up to Columbia,SC to board with Claudia Garner. She owned a dressage barn, is licensed in her native Germany as a trainer and instructor (Bereiter FN) and as a judge for horse shows in all disciplines. At that time, she was having working students come and work for her, so I knew my horse would have some work to do while I did the work of relearning - well - everything. You can read more about her at: www.equinesoundness.com

In 2003, two years after my injury, I decided it was time to get back up on my horse. I got myself into his stall, hauled myself up onto his hay manger, and wriggled and struggled to get my body onto him. He was an angel and stood perfectly still without halter or lead rope. When I finally told someone I had gotten back on Radical, of course, everyone was horrified that I had done it alone. With no halter and bridle. In the stall. Claudia, who had been using Radical as a vaulting horse, decided to start putting me back on Radical while she lounged him with the vaulting surcincle on him. I would drive everyone crazy by forgetting to hold on as he trotted and cantered. I'm sure, with my lack of balance, looking back now, that I caused many a heart attack. But Claudia was patient(well, most of the time ;) ), and I did start getting my seat back.

I don't have any pictures of me and Radical at Claudia's - or of Claudia herself. But above is a picture of Dawn Jensen riding Radical as a 3 1/2 year old in Claudia's indoor arena (Dawn was a trainer there for a period of time - more about her in another post).

A huge thank you to Claudia for your many, patient hours of getting me back in the saddle and starting to get the feel of a horse again!

No comments:

Post a Comment